Wednesday, February 18, 2009

New room, new smell, old stuff

I have finally returned back into my original classroom! The school has been under renovations for weeks now and my room is finally done. Its clean, new paint job, white boards, everything is perfect except for the mountain range of boxes that have absolutely have nothing of mine. It's pretty irritating packing and unpacking stuff that isn't yours while getting grief from everyone. Just one of the many things I feel like I have no choice over at work.

Anyway since the last time I was here, a few things have happened. The wedding plans have slowly started to progress. We tried to finalize the menu, get the bar set up, pay off a few deposits, and etc. But every time we do the fiancee gets a little uneasy with our money situation. I can't blame her, we are spending a lot of money for a huge party. But my justification was that we got the money for this purpose exactly. We have been diligent to make sure that the wedding money stays wedding money and it doesn't become a "kitty pot" for us. Well I just hope we start making some final decisions so that the topic can be put to rest.

Valentine's Day has come and gone already. The date that I planned for Krystal worked out really well and we both enjyed ourselves. One thing I was proud of was finally making it to the Moroccan restaurant that we were talking about for a long time. I knew we had to eat with our hands but this was beyond fun. The restaurant looked like the inside of a tent where you would catch weary travelers lounging and smoking hookas. The whole embiance of the place kind of takes over you and you're not in Kailua but in Morocco or some other Mediterraean islamic country. The food was awesome! Did I tell you that we got to eat with our hands?! I was talking to Krystal about the whole expereience that it was weird that for some reason being in that Moroccan restaurant felt like we were in Japan again. Maybe it was the fact that we were trying some place new for the first time or the fact that we learned to enjoy different cusines but the feeling of being in that restaurant was very nostaligic.

We also went to see Confessions of a Shopaholic. Krystal is a big fan of the book series (a closet shopaholic herself) so I thought it would be cool to see it. I read Roger Ebert's critique of the movie and found that he was right on the money. He basically said that if you like humor about being in credit card debt or running from a collector then this was the movie for you. He also said that the Isla Fisher is very charming in her character. He also made a comment that complemented Isla Fisher for being like Lucille Ball. He said Isla and Lucille never tried to physical comedy but the very fact that they weren't trying to be funny made them funny. After seeing the movie I definitely agree. She brings a naive-ness that is easily believable. If you want a light hearted movie with some laughs you can't really be too disappointed with Confessions of a Shopaholic.

All in all the last few weeks have been busy and I foresee that its going to get busier and busier. Some good news: We found out that Nicola and Pat are making it to the wedding! Nicola is coming from Japan and Pat is coming from Germany! So awesome.

1 comment:

  1. hands-on moroccan valentine date! kudos!

    we had tons of issues with the bar. well, i did. first off, i didn't give a fig whether people would revolt at the thought of a dry wedding or no-host cocktails - my rationale was, if you need to get drunk to attend our wedding, then please stay home. plus the whole issue of liability and drunk driving, etc. anyway, i was outvoted and we had an open bar for 2 hours. tell ya about that tab when i'm done choking on it.

    ReplyDelete